December 14, 2010

New Christmas Tradition

Last year we made graham cracker houses with the kids. They loved it so much. So this year I got a super simple gingerbread house recipe from my friend and we went to town. I think we may have created a family tradition. There is candy, there are cookies, and there is time spent together. If we don't decorate houses next year I would fear for my life.

The creative process. Grace is not helping, even though it looks like she is in the picture. Well I guess if you count sticking candies that she has sucked on already to the house as helping, she is helping. Needless to say we will not be sharing this house with the neighbors.

This is a more accurate picture of what Grace was doing while we were assembling our houses. By the time we were done everything in a ten foot radius was sticking to Grace. Michael thought we could probably stick her to the ceiling if we tried.

Sam didn't think it was all that exciting.

The boys' finished house, complete with TV antenna.
The girls' finished house complete with numerous layers of (some pre-sucked) candies. I may be biased but I think ours is much cooler. Michael defended his by muttering something about his frosting bag kept breaking. Excuses, excuses. (Michael's edit: "They were cheap bags!")

The only question left: "How long do I make the kids wait until they can destroy and eat their creations?"

5 comments:

AJ said...

Well, you could be like my mom and make them wait until after Christmas. Or you can be like me...let them eat it whenever they want.

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! :) They look great! :)

And I'll have to bug you for that recipe sometime - I keep finding really complex/time-consuming ones that just don't sound that worthwhile, LOL...

Also, my $.02: yep, I bet she would've stuck to the ceiling! ;)

Katie said...

Krista,
It's Ann's recipe. You just bake the gingerbread on a cookie sheet and then cut it out when it is done. I will forward the email she sent me but all credit goes to Ann.

Katie said...

I think the girls' is WAY better than the boys. I guess I base that on which house I'd like to live in. Well done!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment