Christmas morning was great. The older kids were told that they couldn't get up until seven. At about 6:30 I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I was ready when Libby appeared at the foot of my bed at 7:00 sharp. The rest of the kids showed up within a couple of minutes and the festivities began.
We opened stockings and ate candy and fruit.
Then we opened our family presents. The kids put on their newly-received Christmas finery and we headed to the in-laws for breakfast.
This picture was taken before the children ate. It was the last picture we took because the day soon went crazy. We had a large yummy breakfast and then piled in the car to go to church with my in-laws. Three wards were meeting together and it was packed. Crowds are not my thing so by the time we left my stress level was already climbing. The kids did fine though, especially Sam. Sam probably did so well because he didn't actually come to church with us. We left him with his aunt and uncle while we went to church. Love the aunt and uncle. We got back to the in-laws at 12:30 and then exchanged gifts. A lot of gifts. It was wonderful and special and magical but it was also stressful and exhausting. We got home around 2:30, put the babies down for nap, and I made snacks to bring to Christmas with my family. At 4:00 we loaded the van, woke the babies, and headed out to my family gathering where once again there were mountains of food and presents. Cue the eating and gift exchange. Wonderful, magical, stressful and exhausting again. We left there around 8 and came home to dump the sticky present-laden children in bed while Michael and I collapsed in wobbling masses on the couch.
I think maybe it was going to church on Christmas that made the whole day longer and more taxing. And that makes me feel a little guilty. Shouldn't church be the first priority on Christmas? Guilt or no I still looked up when Christmas fell on a Sunday again. It's in 2016 in case you care. I figure by then the babies won't need naps and the kids will be old enough to help. Until then I need to remind myself that all these events are blessings. I'm complaining about an overabundance of blessings. Yep, there is definitely something wrong with that. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and that you (and me) have a peaceful and calm New Year's.

No comments:
Post a Comment