May 20, 2012

Mother's Day/Michael's Birthday

The day started out with breakfast in bed.  The night before, Michael baked a coffee cake with a pecan and brown sugar topping.  I was a little disappointed it didn't involve berries, or lemons, or chocolate but I decided to hold my peace - or is it piece?  I really have no idea.  So Sunday morning I was allowed to sleep in, which amounted to lazing in bed while Michael got the kids ready for church.  At some point I've lost the ability to stay asleep if the kids are up.  After a bit the kids and Michael came in with coffee cake and really expensive, but oh so tasty, sausages for my breakfast.  At that point I took back all my bad thoughts about the coffee cake.  It was divine.  Probably had something to do with the cup of butter in it.  Butter makes everything better.  Ethan also proudly brought me the gift he made for me in Cub Scouts.  Ignore the strange photo angle that makes me look deformed and just revel in the leather bracelet stamped with the word Mom.  He was so proud of his masterpiece.  I proudly wore it all day, even to church.  The mom in front of me was wearing hers as well.
During church my kids made flowers and cards for me.  I came home loaded with treasures.  We stepped in the door and the day shifted.  Mother's Day was over and Michael's birthday began.
He had a nap while I made dinner for us and our friends.  At Michael's request I made cha gio (Vietnamese eggrolls).  I also made fried rice and Vietnamese cabbage coleslaw so it felt like a complete meal.  Michael would have been happy with just the cha gio, but I wanted to pretend it was a healthy dinner.  For dessert we had a homemade ice cream cake.  It might not look like much but my taste buds didn't seem to mind.
By the time the day was over we were tired, weighed 2.4 lbs more, and felt our day was thoroughly celebrated.

We did much better than the last time Mother's Day and Michael's birthday landed on the same day.  That year we were camping with Michael's family and woke up to his mother wishing me a Happy Mother's Day and Michael a Happy Birthday.  We both looked rather shame-faced until we realized the other had forgotten as well.  We did much better this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment