After spending a week on the couch I decided to spend some time with the kids. Michael took Friday off work and we planned to spend the day playing.
The day started with sugar cookie dough. It seemed a good idea to make and decorate sugar cookies and then share them with neighbors. I couldn't find my old recipe so we tried a new one. It was a sticky gloppy mess. It stuck to our hands, to the table, and to the cookie cutters. We persevered and managed to get some cookies in the oven. What started out as chicks and eggs quickly melted down into amoebas. So, we started over. I made a second batch and put in the freezer to cool quickly. After 30 minutes I pulled it out and it was pretty solid. I decided to mix it a little before rolling it out. My Bosch decided my plan was a bad, bad one. Do not try to beat frozen cookie dough. You may end up with a broken spindle and bits of plastic everywhere, including in your dough. Thankfully I had noticed a lot of wear on my spindle years ago and purchased a couple back ups. One finally is in use.
We rolled out and baked the cookies and they turned out much yummier and held their shape. They even had the occasional bit of plastic to wake you right up.
Cookies!
Our redneck egg cookie cutter.
"I'll get that for you (after I shove another handful of cookie dough in my mouth)."
While the cookies cooled we dyed our eggs. Our first attempt involved eggs, food dye, and shaving cream. It didn't work very well but the kids loved playing with the shaving cream.
After the shaving cream failed I mixed up some more traditional dye and lets the kids have at it.
The finished masterpieces. The one shaving cream success is on top.
After dying the eggs, the cookies were ready for copious amounts of frosting. After the cookies were done we were all feeling sugar shock. To combat this we set off on a bike ride.
Michael and I led the kids on a grand adventure that ended at Camel's Back Park. We haven't been there since Ethan and Libby were little. The kids saw the steep hill stretching in front of them and started off at a run. Half way up they were holding on to the rope railing and hosting themselves up. Everyone made in to the top under their own power, even the littles.
It was a good day, but crazy. I don't think cookies are going to be made again next year. I respect my sanity too much and I don't really like sugar cookies, anyway.









No comments:
Post a Comment