Another yearly tradition is the making of gingerbread houses. This year we were invited to a gingerbread making house party hosted by Michael's friend and co-worker. It was fun to decorate houses with a large group of people. There was a huge variety of candies, someone else made the houses and frosting, and we all enjoyed some delicious snacks. It was also crowded. I'm not sure if it was more or less crazy than making them at home.
One thing that remained the same was the fact the kids ate all the candy off their house within a day, and Sam destroyed his house within 24 hours.
His first hit only damaged his hand, and not the house. He persevered, though, and eventually wrought destruction.
**Sidenote: I need to mention that Ethan is red-green colorblind. He sees most colors accurately, but does get confused when brown is mixed into red and green colors. I made a comment about the gingerbread houses being brown (I don't know why) and Ethan stopped in his tracks. "Wait! Gingerbread houses are brown?"
"Yes, son, we have made brown gingerbread houses for ten years now. What color did you think they were?"
"They're green."
"You thought we were making green houses every year? Why would we make green houses?"
"I figured it was to make them Christmas-y!"
Everyone was giggling at this point.
I continued with my questions, "How did you think they became green? All the ingredients are white and brown."
He shrugged, "I assumed it was some chemical reaction with the baking soda."
I am highly amused he thought we have been making green houses for years. Now I keep looking at the houses and imaging them green and it seems horribly ugly and creepy. I'm surprised he kept willingly making them.
He now understands the houses are brown, but they, of course, still look green. Maybe we should be making them for Halloween.




No comments:
Post a Comment