Ethan and Libby still go to teen nights most weeks. This week they painted rocks and Libby painted her arm.
The day school started back up, Grace, Sam, and I went on a field trip to Celebration Park, about an hour outside Boise. Here is Sam examining the petroglyphs. We spent four hours out there and learned how the petroglyphs were created, by whom, and why they created them. We learned about the diets of the people native to this area and learned to be grateful that we aren't fated to die at 25 due to a infection in our gums.
The most interesting part for the kids, though, was playing with the atlatl. A person uses a stick to launch an arrow, faster and farther than they could throw it. I even took a turn and discovered I am a natural. Of the six times I threw, I hit the hay five times, and went completely over once, which was the best of anyone in our group.
As I sat there wondering why throwing the arrow felt so familiar, I was finally able to put my finger on it. It is the exact same motion I use to throw Harley's ball from the ball chucker. I guess I'm not a natural; just well-practiced.
Just a few of the monkeys that went on the field trip. Despite the frigid start, it looks like everyone had a great time.






No comments:
Post a Comment