September 30, 2019

All My Free Time

With all the kids in public school, I've been worried about how I would fill all my free time. Between sick kids, weird days off and watching this guy several times a week, I've been just as busy as ever. The first three weeks of school I still had someone at home almost every day. Now that the school schedule has settled and kids have gotten healthier, I did get a few days off. 



For several days I just fixed things. Little things that have broken over the years and no one had the time to fix.  Things like replacing the toilet paper holder that has been prone to falling off the wall for the last couple years.


I've worked in the garden, helped install a new peep hole, fixed a broken wheel on our bench and helped Michael fix the broken wheel on the computer chair.  I've set about poisoning my neighbor's trees that refuse to die. And yes, I have her permission; I haven't gone completely loopy. I installed a doorbell. I'm going to replace some bathroom fixtures. Basically, I have been fixing all those little things that I could never concentrate enough to fix before.

The few days I've had with no kids or husband around I have enjoyed the feeling of having a complete thought process, such as: I need to fix this toilet paper holder. I'm going to check if Amazon has one. Now I am ordering one. This is a process that has taken me days to work through, but without a person interrupting, it takes ten minutes. When Amazon delivered it, it took me 45 minutes (I'm being generous) to find the correct tools and install it without having to referee a fight or have someone asking to picked up from wherever they are. It's been amazing. I don't think I've had a complete thought process in the last fifteen years!

I still have a few items on my to-do list, but I can't fix everything at once. We still need money for food and housing! Amid all this fixing chaos, I've come the realization that we may not be able to afford for me to stay home. I'm eyeing new flooring for the patio, new paint for a couple rooms, new paint for the kitchen chairs; I just keep adding to the master list. There are so many projects that I keep finding that I might just bankrupt us.

So in the interest of earning a bit more money and curtail my home improvement projects a bit, I also signed up to be a substitute teacher. I finished the training and my fingerprints are cleared. I'm hoping to be able to start next week. The girls have begged me to never sub for their classes. The boys couldn't care less if I teach them; at least some of my kids love me.

With my free time I even took a quick girls' trip to Baker City with my friend. We posed with every animal sculpture we found. I love these things. I want some smaller scales ones for the front flower bed (me staying home without kids to chase gives me much too much time to start projects that then cost money).



I'm enjoying having moments to myself with all the kids in school. Grace and Sam are enjoying public school, although Sam still has some doubts. He is asking to come home because school is so long. He loves his friends though and has discovered playing Pokemon with friends. I think he will survive. I think we all will. This is going to be a great new chapter for all us.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Are you killing the sycamore? 😭

Post a Comment