October 25, 2017

My Little Garden

I rented a spot from Borah Community Garden this year.  When I started planting I was a little disappointed in the size of my plot.  10' by 20' just doesn't look very big.


From the green water line back to where the grass starts growing is my plot.  This is early in the season.  I was very sad by its slow growth.  Then it went insane.  The cucumber plants made more than thirty quarts of pickles and the two kale plants produced more than we could eat on our own.  The tomatoes were late, but prolific.  I have enough homemade salsa to last for generations.  I even got a few pumpkins before the plants succumbed to a fungus.

Toward the end of the season I was harvesting twice a week and bringing home buckets of food.
Before the first hard frost, I harvested almost everything.  I still have a few parsnips in the ground.  I am anxiously awaiting a hard freeze before I dig them up.   Currently, we are not in danger of running out of tomatoes or carrots.

Next year I am planning on renting two plots.  I'm not sure if ambitious or crazy would be more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment