December 14, 2019

One Week, Six Concerts, Still Alive to Tell the Tale

Monday started with Ethan singing at Winter Garden Aglow at the Botanical Gardens with his school men's choir. We were not able to go because Libby and Michael were rehearsing for Libby's choir concert later across town. I just drove everyone around. That was my job this week. I was the unpaid and unappreciated chauffeur. 

Tuesday we attended Libby's orchestra concert. We didn't manage to get photos, but they did a great job. I was busy threatening Grace and Sam with practicing concert behavior at home if they didn't start behaving. Hence, the lack of photos. Libby has loved orchestra for years, but her passion is starting to wane. This may have been her last orchestra performance, and I didn't even get any photos. Sad day.

Wednesday night we attended Ethan's choir concert. I didn't have to threaten the younger children even once. Ethan's choir teacher loves to create great music that is as fun to listen to as to watch. There were candles, movement, even a young man dancing in a tutu while the male choir ding donged their way through Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. 

Ethan sang in the majority of pieces because he is in three different choirs. Three! It's insane. He has decided to drop one from his schedule after this semester, saints be praised.  We laughed, we applauded, we hugged random people and then we went home.

Ethan stoically played the tambourine (front and center of above photo).  He assured us he smiled more on the second night. He was just a little worried about messing up.

Thursday afternoon Grace and Sam had a performance, thankfully together. Grace played cello with the orchestra, and considering these kids have only been playing a few months, they did great. Each piece was recognizable and there was very little screeching from the violins.

Sam then sang with the honor choir, a group of kids who give up a couple lunch recesses a week to rehearse. Sam and his friend were the only boys among a sea of girls. All the kids sang their hearts out. We all clapped for our cutie kids, and then I gathered my kids and we headed home.

A few hours later on Thursday evening Ethan had another choir performance, which we missed because we were at Libby's choir performance. She is in the audition choir, with a new choir teacher (her 3rd in 3 years). Despite all the changes this choir has had thrust upon them, they are still amazing. Libby and four of her friends sang "White Winter Hymnal" and brought down the house. I'm not bragging when I say they got the most applause of any group. They took a difficult piece and presented it with confidence. She has worked countless hours on it and I was so proud to see all her work pay off.

Her with the rest of her choir. She's in the middle left; look for the voluminous hair.

This was her ensemble group. The beginning was a little rocky, but they got it figured out, and people loved it!

I'm so grateful my kids are involved in school activities. Students who are involved tend to get better grades and feel better about school. I'm thankful my kids have found something they love. I've had to keep reciting these words in my head this week as I drove kids from one practice to another. Concert season is lovely, but at points I thought I was going to die of exhaustion. But it's almost over, and I'm still alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment