May 22, 2020

Just Need a Little Faith

I stumbled across a tutorial on how to create a lush plant covered teepee, in which children can play. The pictures looked like hippie love and peace in physical form. I couldn't resist even a little bit. I probably should have. I don't have room for a giant plant structure, I don't really like fresh green beans (which grow up the stakes) and my kids are almost too big for this type of nonsense.

But they aren't quite too big. Not quite. Surely someone will eat the green beans. We will find the room!

Two days later, a couple trips to Lowe's, an outlay of $25, and we were ready to go. The younger kids and I pulled out a few power tools and got to work. It only took a couple hours, no one was injured, it went together easily, and we enjoyed being outside. Ethan even helped me to run a drip line. It went better than 90% of all family projects.  


We now have a naked wooden frame living in our backyard. Every time I glance in the backyard, for a split second I wonder why the ladder is out. Then I remember my grand scheme. 

Right now it looks pathetic and sad to me. Sam thinks it looks like a shrine to Demeter, the goddess of agriculture. I am hoping that with some time, water, and a little bit of faith (in the Greek gods?) we will soon have a trellis covered with green beans and morning glories. Faith is always the hardest part for me. I never seem to believe a packet of seeds can grow into anything, much less a wall of greenery. I will let you know what happens when August rolls around! We will see if my faith is justified. We will see if Sam has the Greek shrine he is envisioning. Even if it works, I refuse to sacrifice a goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment