October 27, 2012

Long Race, Long Day, Longest Post Ever




Our day started at the Farmstead Corn Maze at 8:30.  I signed up to run a 5K race and Michael, Ethan, and Libby signed up for the fun run.  My sister Heidi came to my house to watch the babies.  Above is my friend Caitlin and I before the race.  Nervous but excited.  This was my first race ever and her first since high school.  It was a costume race, hence my witches hat.  It lasted less than a quarter mile.
 Running with nuns.
 Still early on.  See how happy we are!?
3.0 miles later I am not smiling.  That brown blob covering her mouth is me.  I was trying not to puke.  I failed.  The race course was brutal.  Every time I thought I was coming to the end the trail doubled back on itself.  Plus we were jumping irrigation ditches, running through tires, crawling under tractor trailers and even traipsing through a giant lizard monster.  The jog was a lot harder than my usual one.  I kept thinking the end was coming but it wasn't.  So I kept pushing because I was going to jog the whole thing.   At mile 3.09 I puked on the hay bales.  As much as I wanted to jog the whole 3.1 miles I ended up walking the last 50 yards, then jogging through the finish line for the photo finish.
Finally done!  I was supposed to run across that giant trampoline thing behind me but it was the one obstacle I skipped.  Don't judge me.
 Yay!  I did it!
Then we played around.  The kids ended up in jail.  Michael cried and wondered where we had gone wrong.
 Then it was time for the 1/2 mile fun run.  Through the metal maze, through the giant monster,
 under the ropes,
 (Michael was in this position for 3 minutes before he was able to get back up again),
 over the hay,
 down the slide,
 and they emerged victorious.
 Then we went to play.
 I even felt more friendly toward the jump pad.
 Lots of picture ops.
 Who are those cute people?
Entering the corn maze.  Libby and I got incredibly lost.  Michael and Ethan beat us out by 25 minutes and they had to come back in and help us out.  I have no sense of direction and Libby seems to take after me.
 Going on a hayride
 to get some pumpkins.
 I told them to pretend they love each other.  They aren't very good actors.
 After naps and dinner we went to the ward trunk-or-treat.  Here is my beautiful fairy princess.
 And Poseidon (not King Tritan, you Philistines).
 Sam the dinosaur with pirate cousin Aubrey.
 Princess Libby and Avatar Korra cousin Kylynn.
 Rocking Libby's cowgirl hat.
And finally the end of a long day.  If you made through all the photos I'm very impressed.  Give yourself a little pat on the back.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I can totally relate. My friend took me on a 6 mile hike - 6 in, 6 out, 30# pack. I threw up, barely made it out of the tent to do so, had a miserable headache, got blisters on both feet, lost a toenail from bad shoes, got my period in the middle of the night and all my supplies were strung up in a tree so bears wouldn't get it. I did it though, and because of that experience, I can be even more proud of your triumph. Well done - you're a ROCK STAR!!!

Post a Comment