March 1, 2018

Christmas...and a little miracle

Sunday night we celebrated Ethan's birthday, hung the stockings by the computer screen (it counts, we had a fire video playing), and sent the kids to bed.  The gifts were wrapped, all was prepared, except one thing.  Libby's phone screen had shattered a few months prior, and while it still worked, it was difficult to use.  Santa had decided to replace her screen for Christmas.  In our house Santa brings the stockings and one gift for each child.  At eleven o'clock on Christmas eve, Santa sat down to work.  At 11:15 Santa said some not so nice words.  The new screen was broken beyond repair. There was no backup gift.

It was Christmas Eve night, the roads were slick with snow, the stores were closed, and Libby had no gift.  After a quick Google search it seemed there was one Walmart open, across town.  I knew that it was most likely a Google mistake, so I tried to call.  There was no answer.  At that point, I was willing to try anything though, so I jumped in the car, while Santa put Libby's cracked screen back on so she would at least still have a phone.

After a harrowing drive across town, I determined Walmart was in fact closed and the roads were awful.  I drove around looking for a drug store or even a large gas station that was open, anything!  Michael and I give each kid three gifts and Santa brings a large, well thought-out, gift.  There was no rearranging gifts to cover the lapse.  I started to head home, while looking for anything open.  I kept having the thought that I should call my sister Heidi, but it was midnight by this point.  I figured her and mom were already in bed.

As I approached an intersection where I would usually turn, I found a big semi had slid off the road and partially blocked the intersection.  Rather than sliding around him, I decided to go up to the next street. This took me even closer to Heidi's house.  I really felt I should call her.  So I finally heeded the prompting and called (thank goodness for my van's Bluetooth!).  She answered the phone to hear her distraught sister talking a mile a minute, trying to explain that Libby had no gift from Santa.  She told me to come over, we would find something.  Which was a good thing, as I was already parking in front of her apartment.

I walked in to find Heidi and Mom scurrying around, trying to create a last second gift.  Heidi has a ton of craft stuff in her house and started pulling out supplies.  Within forty-five minutes we had stretched a metal screen over a Goodwill picture frame, added knobs, and had a cute jewelry hanger. Nothing like drilling holes at one in the morning.  Meanwhile, Mom was making a bracelet, while Heidi was digging through her pounds of costume jewelry.  They added jewelry and a cute little hat to the board, and with a grateful heart and teary eyes, I headed home.  I cannot believe the incredible people I am surrounded with.

I staggered home, set out Libby's present, and was asleep by 1:45.  The kids woke up at seven, but Christmas was saved and Libby loved her gift.  She did ask me later what had happened because she recognized the jewelry hanger as a Heidi creation, and she heard me come in so late. She figured it was not a part of my normal Christmas behavior.

A couple weeks later we also fixed her phone, which now a couple months later is broken again.  Sigh.


Sam unwrapping gifts at his Grandpa and Grandma's.  Never doubt my kids are spoiled.

Ethan sporting his new t-shirt.  He is Hamilton crazy.  I can handle my kid being obsessed with Broadway musicals, although he only kinda likes Les Miserables.  My heart weeps for his ignorance.

 I don't know what she is doing, but we love her.


I crocheted a Hobbes for Michael for Christmas.  He was ecstatic. Hobbes now lives at his office in a safe place of honor and veneration. I'm so glad Michael loves it, because I doubt I'll ever crochet again after finishing that thing.  I am not a master crocheter, and it doesn't look like I want to become one.


No comments:

Post a Comment